Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Meditation

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
Author Unknown

Christian meditation
...is a form of prayer in which a structured attempt is made to become aware of and reflect upon the revelations of God. The word meditation comes from the Latin word meditārī, which has a range of meanings including to reflect on, to study and to practice. Christian meditation is the process of deliberately focusing on specific thoughts (such as a Bible passage) and reflecting on their meaning in the context of the love of God.
....is a sacred activity nourishing your faith that the Kingdom of God is within you
...is a function of the mind and the heart.  It is what we think about in our hearts and it is something we each do every day. Whether we realize it or not, we all spend a large portion of our time in some form of meditation. The thing is, what we meditate on may or may not be worth while.
...is believed to involve the inherent action of the  Holy Spirit to help us as Christians understand the deeper meaning of the Word of God.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. (Psalms 19:14)

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. (Phillipians 4:8)



These verses tell us what we "should do" but ..do we?  Sometimes when I start to think unkind or judgmental thoughts toward others, I have to shift gears and look to the verses above.  If I don't I start to feed off those bad thoughts.  Memorization of these motivational verses helps to train my mind and move away from evil thoughts.

Some days you will win and some days you will lose, but do not give up!
Feed your mind, feed your heart ...
What then is Christian meditation? It is the deliberate practice of turning our hearts and our minds to the full time task of bringing the word of God to life in the daily activities of our lives
God wants to change us from the inside out
We *cannot* change ourselves. God uses many ways to accomplish this but the primary tool he uses is his own word recorded in the Bible.  If we use it and put it to use, he will be able to enter into our lives and form us into what he wants us to be.  Meditation of the Word of God will renew our mind and change our hearts.

My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises
(Psalms 119:148)
 
 
Dear Lord...I can do nothing without you...lead me to meditate on Your Word daily, that I might lead others to see Your good works in me. Thank you for putting this 30 challenge before me, to renew my mind and put your promise back in my heart.  I need you with me Lord.  I pray this in Your Holy Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment