Sunday, March 2, 2014

Keep Him With You

"They Can't Take That Away from Me" is a 1937 song (see 1937 in music) written by George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin.  The lyrics include "the way you wear your hat, the way you sip your tea", and "the way you hold your knife, the way we danced till three." Each verse is followed by the line "no, no, they can't take that away from me." The basic meaning of the song is that even if the lovers part, though physically separated the memories cannot be forced from them.

American Prisoners of War in Vietnam kept their faith, their sanity and their hope alive by sharing the Scriptures, prayers and sacred songs they had long ago stored up in their hearts. And thus even though they were deprived of the printed word, the Word was yet able to sustain them. Memorization takes effort and time, but the rewards are worth it all. Whether at work or traveling, in school or at some social event, the memorized word is there to keep us pure and to guide us aright.


 Hiding the Word in our hearts is one of the most important things we can do.  The more you use the Scriptures, the longer they stay in your memory. When you are being tempted, it is nice to have the power to just say “It is written…”  Having God's Word in our heart and mind, not in the car or on the dresser, helps us to witness to others and defend the faith no matter where we are.

The reference for each verse is the hardest for me, someone suggested learning verses by topics and that seems a good thought,  to quote Julie Andrews, "I'll simply remember my favorite things or in this case, verses,  then I won't feel so bad".


 when I am sad I will recite....Psalm 34:17,18...
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.

when I am afraid Psalm 56:3...
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.


when I need guidance  Proverbs 3: 5, 6...
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your way acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.



when I want to give encouragement..Phillipians 4:6...
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God


Dear Lord...Help me to keep your Word in my heart, that I might continually call on You in times of trouble or in moments I need to praise You for all that is around me.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment