Saturday, April 12, 2014

Singing Puts Us In A Happy Place

...excerpts from an article by Julia Layton....
All types of singing have positive psychological effects. A study published in Australia in 2008 revealed that on average, choral singers rated their satisfaction with life higher than the public --  Singing can have some of the same effects as exercise, like the release of endorphin, which give the singer an overall "lifted" feeling and are associated with stress reduction.  And singing necessitates deep breathing, another anxiety reducer. Deep breathing is a key to meditation and other relaxation techniques, and you can't sing well without it......Choral singers need to concentrate on their music and technique throughout the singing process, and it's hard to worry about things like work or money or family problems when you're actively concentrating on something else. So choral singers tend to have a built-in "stress-free zone." why choral singing specifically?.  **remember the song "don't worry, be happy"......because some of the most important ties between singing and happiness are social ones....the support system of being part of a group....commitment to that group...feelings of belonging to a group, of being needed...

Well, you get the idea, singing along or singing with a group just makes you feel happy, try it sometime, and if it is just in the shower, belt it out, breathe deep and sing it from the heart.  I like to turn simple Bible verses into melodies and sing them over and over. One time during our church service, Pastor was talking about the "name of Jesus" and I couldn't help myself, I just started singing, "Jesus, Jesus, there's just something about that name" and before long the rest of the congregation had joined in.  It was spontaneous and just left us all feeling very good....and happy.

"Let us come to him with thanksgiving. Let us sing psalms of praise to him."
Psalm 95:2 (NLT)

"The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart.
He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving."
Psalm 28:7 (NLT)

Dear Lord
Let my singing forever bring joy to me and Praise your  Holy name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment